Saturday, May 13, 2023

Relative History

I think my mother was attempting to groom me towards greatness, in the hopes that I would get close by social standards of the day.

This is such a line of reasoning I appreciate! Why? Only because I have found a dry humor therein, after time.

Why would I appreciate the approach, were I not to compare it to the expected outcome? Outcomes foretold do not contain the unforeseen. There's more.

My mother endured a significant paradigm-shift within what is called The Women's Liberation Movement. She was of the "Baby Boom" – reference to an enormous generation, born after "The Greatest Generation". 

So, the Greatest Generation were my grandparents – all having borne witness to The Great Depression (it was always a mumbled undertone, "well, during the Depression..."). I was always reminded how good I have it, and why.

The Greatest Generation believed that in so having engaged, endured, and prevailed during The Second World 🌎 War, that no more wars would ever be fought again, that no one would dare. This was a widespread notion of why the continuation of struggle was necessary, after the war and since – the Complex, but I digress.

Yes, Hitler was evil. Of this I'm clear. There's no other way to put it. I'm also clear that US operatives in Germany could have taken him down at any time. The US probably saw Hirohito coming for a governmental mile away too, perhaps.

It was an economic strategy that allowed the US to enter the war directly. Foreseen and allowed, because War benefits manufacturing and certain huge corporate profits. Well, not all the profits are made by huge corporations; the local funeral businesses also benefited greatly. 

But, against foes too that our allies needed resources to vanquish.

The common narrative of this is different, like many things.

Let me just add that President Eisenhower was not only wise, but daring in so alerting the public of potential dangers of The Military-Industrial Complex. 

The Greatest Generation believed that, by unleashing the Atomic Bomb, there could never be war again.

Isn't that a nice concept? Seemingly doublethink looking at it plainly. How is mass obliteration going to deter a newly created industry with so much pecuniary value? Nothing stops the insipidity of nonstop greed. Nothing. 

I have a copy of The New York Times from VE Day. May 8, 1945. On the border, my great-grandmother wrote, "For my grandchildren".

Not even they were spared the ravages of a war-mongering system, inventing reasons to be involved in warfare all over the globe – since then (if not always), unto the present day.

It's hard to look at history to see that much of it is a pretense to actuality, nevertheless revealed. And revered.

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relative History

I think my mother was attempting to groom me towards greatness, in the hopes that I would get close by social standards of the day. This is ...