Wednesday, February 16, 2022

My Own Music History #1 - Memory

History is something I've been fascinated by since a young age. As a child, I was given encyclopedias to play with. What fun I had!

As the first child, and within circumstances created as strange yet portrayed as normal, I was inundated with early trauma. This endowed me with hyperthymesia which are instances of time recalled in episodic memory. For example, my first memories are of being a baby – and not foggy, partial remembrances, but moments in time I re-experience in vivid clarity.

What comedian recently came out with a similar "affliction"? I too memorized US Presidential history. My parents used me as a party favor from the age of 8. Right. And the Greatest Generation found me quite useful for crossword puzzles. I have a lot of stories about this. Maybe I'll have a chance to go into it.

My memories of events can be like re-living it all. I think of a moment of a time of life I experience, and I can place myself there mentally with a clarity that is disconcerting to others. To a degree, in transgressing the always-changing culural norms, this served to my benefit. I could relate on a multi-generational understanding that many my age, and since, just cannot.

It is, however, a curse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relative History

I think my mother was attempting to groom me towards greatness, in the hopes that I would get close by social standards of the day. This is ...